Wednesday, December 11, 2013

More of the S/V EMPIRICUS story with Goodbye Prudhoe Bay. Hello Nunavut!


Goodbye Prudhoe Bay. Hello Nunavut!

by empiricusembarks http://empiricusembarks.wordpress.com/author/empiricusembarks/
Another chapter unfolds in our exploration of the Arctic, as I resign my position in Prudhoe Bay Alaska. Samantha, Steven, the dog "Bruce" and myself will set up camp, smack dab in the middle of the Northwest Passage.
Being positioned and working in Cambridge Bay will position us perfectly, to continue our exploration of the North and its people. as well as prepare Empiricus for the next stage of our global Journey.
Saying goodbye to the Colville Shop
Saying goodbye to the Colville Shop
Working for Colville Inc. Has been a pleasure. This is a cut and paste of my resignation letter.
To my friends and co-workers at Colville Inc.
I am excited, but somewhat sad to announce that I will be departing employment from Colville Inc. Effective Dec 31st.
As many of you know, I have been working toward the goal of sailing around the world. This summer, I began that Journey by sailing from Kodiak Island to Cambridge Bay Nunavut (Canadian Arctic).
The voyage was epic and altered my life fundamentally. It was worth every ounce of effort and then some. My sons were exposed to wonders they never could have imagined otherwise. We have grown stronger together from the experience.
Beyond that, while voyaging I met the love I’ve always dreamed of. She shares the same dreams and aspirations as I and is good to my boys as well.
When I met Samantha.  I just knew she was the one.
When I met Samantha. I just knew she was the one.
On Thanksgiving day, I asked her to marry me and she said yes. For now, the ring she wears is a Turks head knot, that I tied from marlin twine. A true Sailor she is indeed!
I share all this with you because the friendships I have developed here are very real. And for the past few years, a fair amount of my life has been shared with you all. I tried not to care about this place at first, but it just didn’t work. I feel at home here and will miss you all, in some way or another. Even Jimmy… Ha Ha Ha
My plans are to return to the Canadian Arctic in January, with my Fiancée and my younger son Steven. While in Cambridge Bay I will work under special visa as a mechanic while homeschooling Steven and writing a book. The book will be about what led me down this path to a life of adventure.
This summer will be spent sailing and exploring the Northwest Passage with a fine tooth comb. Next winter the boat will be prepared to sail for Europe and beyond.
Samantha and Steve at the Sea Life Center in Seward.
Samantha and Steve at the Sea Life Center in Seward.
We will depart the Canadian Arctic in the fall of 2015 Ice permitting, then sail full time for a number of years.
This is all made possible, by living simply and within my means. I believe we should work to live. Not live to work.
I have had difficult times in my life before. Looking back now, I would never have imagined life could be this good. Largely this has to do with following the “work to live”.
Life is lived in each and every moment. If we can learn to enjoy each and every moment, we will live without regret. Even while working, away from the rest of our lives back home, we can enjoy the process and enjoy our time.
Here is a Colville analogy for life, the way I see it.
This is not a B train its a 12 k.  Meaning it holds 12000 gallons of fuel.  A B-train has 2 trailers and carries 16000 gallons.
This is not a B train its a 12 k. Meaning it holds 12000 gallons of fuel. A B-train has 2 trailers and carries 16000 gallons.
Our life is like a B Train full of ULSD. The sweet slope nectar... Everybody wants some of what we have. If each gallon, were one day from our life. We could drive around, burning gallon per day, for 44 years, refilling from the tanker. That would put most of us in our eighties or later when we run dry.
Now imagine you own this rig and the fuel. Lets say your really efficient and only burn just a gallon a day regardless of what you do. You can go wherever you like per day, on that gallon of “time”. You will drive to work, and burn fuel while there. You will burn about a third of that fuel sleeping, which leaves you about one quart a day to do what you like with. Such as visit family, go exploring etc. But one way or the other, at the end of those years, your tank will be dry. And the people we hold close will not remember what we bought them. So be careful where you spread your fuel.
Those we care for, weather at work or at home, will remember our interaction with them. They will remember weather or not we actually lived fulfilled lives. They want a good life for us for us, just like we want that for them. So in the end we can give them what they want, by enjoying our time and sharing our joy with them.
If our example to others, includes living a fulfilled and joyful life, we have succeeded Both in living and in leading.
I hope to hear from you through my blog or e-mail
http://www.empiricusembarks.wordpress.com
empiricusembarks@gmail.com
Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. And remember. You cannot buy time, with overtime.
Sincerely
Jesse Osborn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your comment(s) here...